The present Market was built in the late 1870's following the incorporation of the Pontypridd Markets Company.
In spite of the savage economic decline experienced by Pontypridd and the Valleys in the 1920's and 1930's, the Market has survived in very much its original format.
The Market Company is proud to have resisted the temptation for wholesale development, opting instead for gradual refurbishment of the original buildings, thereby retaining both Indoor and Outdoor Markets in their traditional style.
A market has stood on the site of the present Market since 1805
Since 1985, the Market has undergone considerable change. Colourful Coster Barrows are now a feature.
The Lesser Town Hall (now known as the Clothes Market) was refurbished and opened as a Market Hall in 1988, and the Outdoor Market was extended in 1988 onto a site adjoining Church Street and St. Catherine's Street.